April 22, 2012

You have the most breathtaking photos. Love all these historic and beautiful places you’ve visited!

April 25, 2012

Thanks! It took a while to compile this post but reliving the memories made it worth it 🙂

2. Aaron @ Aaron’s Worldwide Adventures
    April 23, 2012

Been to Ayutthaya, Angkor, Machu Picchu, the Pyramids and Petra. I prefered Sukhothai though over Ayutthaya. Did you make it there?

April 25, 2012

Aaron– we must be on similar travel itineraries 😉 We did visit Sukhothai and enjoyed it, although it didn’t stick out in my mind like Ayutthaya. We took a train from Bangkok to Chang Mai stopping in the major towns and exploring the sites.

April 23, 2012

Great photos! Thanks for featuring my embarrassing story! 🙂 I can’t wait to visit Egypt. It was my dream while I was growing up.

April 25, 2012

Your pushbike in Angkor Wat story has stuck in my head since I originally read it. So interesting! Egypt is magical… I visited Cairo/Giza and would love to go back to see Luxor and the other historical areas. So much history there!

4. iamthewitch
    April 23, 2012

Wow wow girl! What an impressive list! I only wish I have been to half of the places listed! Would definitely love to visit Machu Picchu after hearing so much about it.. Cambodia is lovely too, and I’m ashamed to say that I haven’t been there still even though I stay much nearer to the country!

April 25, 2012

Aw, thanks! I highly recommend a visit to Angkor Wat. It’s hard to describe how impressive it is… you need to see it for yourself 🙂

5. Ayngelina
    April 23, 2012

I have to say after all that I have seen Angkor Wat is still my favourite, although I have not seen the pyramids.

April 25, 2012

I agree- Angkor Wat is incredible. I didn’t realize the size of the site until visiting; I loved how we could climb all over the ruins and there was always a small sculpture or detail to discover 🙂

6. Stephen
    April 23, 2012

Nice to see some different one listed. Never heard of Quilmes, Argentina. I did hit your top3 and they did live up to their expectations.

April 25, 2012

Check out Quilmes the next time you find yourself in Argentina– it’s low key and impressive. You’ll hardly see another tourist!

7. Carol
    April 23, 2012

Egypt is my dream destination. It has a very unique history especially the pyramids

8. Andi
    April 23, 2012

You have truly been all over the world, incredible!!!!!!

April 26, 2012

Going on a RTW trip for a year helped us hit a lot of our dream destinations 🙂 Fortunately, the world is a big place so there is always something new to discover!

9. Barbara
    April 23, 2012

An unfair question. The fact that people throughout the world have taken care of so many ancient artifacts makes each one of them a complete wonder! My favorite, though, is Pompeii & the Acropolis in Athens. Oldies but goodies on the “go to” map, I know. THANKS for the pictures!

April 25, 2012

Pompeii sounds amazing; I’d love to visit one day. Perhaps it will end up topping my list of personal favorites 🙂

10. Anthony @ Culture-ist Magazine
    April 23, 2012

Nice photos and great suggestions. We never made it to Ayutthaya while in Thailand and wish we did, especially after reading through your suggestions. You’ve also piqued my interest in visiting Ciudad Perdida, we’ve been looking to visit Colombia and the ruins there look spectacular.

April 25, 2012

Anthony, I’d highly recommend the trek to Ciudad Perdida. It’s a unique experience and, even though it can be grueling to hike in the heat and mud, you’ll never forget it!

11. Yuri
    April 24, 2012

Cartoixa de Scala Dei, el Priorat, Catalunya. And ancient monastery of the chartreuse monks, in a quiet and mystic place. Is where I do live, actually. Thanks!!!

Thanks for the tip! I’d love to check out Cartoixa de Scala Dei one day 🙂

12. Angela
    April 24, 2012

I’m super fascinated by ancient ruins, I’ve seen many and I’m never tired of it, I love trying to picture what their dwellers might have lived.

April 25, 2012

Good point Angela– it’s incredible to think that these ruins were once thriving cities, with people going about their everyday lives.

13. Mary Hamptom
    April 25, 2012

Your pictures are amazing! I can only wish to one day go on a trip like yours. How much does a trip like that cost if you are flying out form the USA?

14. Brandon Share
    April 25, 2012

Angkor Wat is probably one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen in my life but I’m still dying to see the Pyramids of Giza and the Sphinx.

April 25, 2012

Definitely visit the Giza Pyramids! It’s incredible seeing the monuments in person after growing up seeing them in text books 🙂

15. Adan
    April 26, 2012

With the exception of all the South America destinations, I intend to hit every single one of these in 2012/2013…What a great list!

April 26, 2012

Awesome! Sounds like you have exciting travel plans for 2012 🙂

16. Laurence
    April 28, 2012

I have totally not been to any of these! Which makes me sad.. but also excited that I have so much to see still!

17. Nate @yomadic
    April 29, 2012

I am a huge fan of ancient ruins. I’ve only been to a couple on your list, but Angkor Wat was so special I went back a second time, and am planning on going for a third visit.

It’s great – there are so many ruins I have yet to see for the first time, gives me something to look forward to.

April 29, 2012

Isn’t Angkor Wat great? It’s so massive I can totally see returning to it one day to continue exploring!

18. Jeremy Branham
    May 2, 2012

I’ve heard of four of these but don’t know much about a lot of them. I know a lot of people have talked about Angkor Wat so I may have to put that on the list. Machu Picchu is definitely on there!

19. RB Photography
    May 7, 2012

Without a doubt Machu Piccu – would go back for another visit at the drop of a hat

May 8, 2012

Agreed– Machu Picchu is breathtaking!

May 10, 2012

Great list. I would say Angkor is my favorite, but I like the sound and looks of Quilmes. I never did make Ayuthayya, but I made Sukothai instead. Next time I would like to check out Ayuthayya.

May 10, 2012

Thailand has so many historical towns– it’s hard to make them all in one trip! Sukkothai was great too 🙂

21. Michael Davis
    May 16, 2012

Thanks for enlisting all these historic places in a single list. You’re lucky to have such wonderful experience in these beautiful places. Last year I visited Angkor Wat. That was really beautiful.

22. Jeff Titelius
    May 24, 2012

What a fascinating journey you paint you with your words and stunning photography my friend. Many of these places on my bucket list for sure!!!

May 28, 2012

Thanks Jeff! This was a fun post to write– I was reliving the memories of visiting these beautiful destinations 🙂

23. Travelwriticus
    January 23, 2013

Thanks for the tip about Ciudad Perdida.I love such hidden places.

January 24, 2013

We loved hiking Ciudad Perdida. It was grueling but what a great memory 🙂

24. Normand Boulanger
    January 28, 2013

Wow so many place to go see:) I’ve only seen one of these so far (Machu Pichu), will be goimg to the ciudad perdida in Colombia in the next few months. So that will be two, 6 more to go.