May 4, 2011

Oh that’s some street art! “Enjoy the revolution”. That is so honest and truthful sentence.
    I can’t even imagine how they people felt the moment. Thanks for sharing the moment!!

May 5, 2011

I loved that line! It really does capture the spirit of the revolution.

2. Erica
    May 4, 2011

LOVE this. I have always had a love affair with Egypt even though I have never been. So much can be said in street art. It is like you experience the real feelings.

May 5, 2011

Erica, I hope you make it to Egypt. Now is a great time to go! The mood was so upbeat. I agree, street art provides insight into the culture and politics of a destination. I love visiting a city and stumbling onto creative artwork 🙂

3. Sarah Wu
    May 4, 2011

Wow, I can see that they really embraced their street arts. As a designer I love looking at those too. You know if you don’t say it’s from Cairo, at a quick glance it feels like ur in the state.

May 5, 2011

I was surprised by how clean and “normal” Cairo looked, only a few months after a major revolution. This area of the city is beautiful, with manicured gardens and monuments. It was a great surprise to find so much street art there!

4. Dave from The Longest Way Home
    May 5, 2011

Great stuff Leslie. A very unique way to show what’s happening in Egypt from the street level. And, as you like street art, it makes for a wonderful story. I can offer help with the symbols, but I can with a RT 🙂

May 5, 2011

Dave, can’t wait to hear your insight into these symbols!

5. Annie Bettis
    May 5, 2011

I love your photos! It looks so peaceful and calm after the revolution!

6. Sabrina
    May 5, 2011

Great street art! We were in Cairo last summer, but I wish I could come back now to see all of this.

7. Ryan | PauseTheMoment.com
    May 5, 2011

Wow, great post! I love street art and I’m actually heading back to Cairo two days from now for 3 weeks! Can’t wait to scope out some of the art you found in the photos above.

May 5, 2011

Enjoy your trip! It’s a great time to visit Cairo. I was amazed by the resilient spirit of the people. It was fascinating to walk across Tahrir Square after watching the revolution unfold on TV.

8. Giulia
    May 5, 2011

Hey Leslie 🙂 Maybe I can help you “translating” some of these writings!

The “game over” writing says: “Mubarak game over” and it’s signed “the people of Egypt”

The 2 guys are Egyptian guys who died in the Revolution: Ahmed Basiouny (shot in the head in Tahrir Square) and the other one looks like “Mustafa Alsawy” but I am not sure.

The symbol of cross (not anhk) + crescent is the symbol of unity between Muslims (crescent) and Christians (cross), and the writing says “brothers”.

I love this kind of graffiti… they are all around Cairo and they are so beautiful. 🙂

May 5, 2011

Giulia, thanks for shedding light on this street art! What a fitting way to honor Egyptians who died in the revolution– now their images will live on and will inspire visitors like me to learn more about their cause.

9. Andrea
    May 5, 2011

Loved seeing this art! Some of the pieces are really artistic and beautiful. My fav is the first photo under “Street art hot-spot”

May 5, 2011

Agreed- that’s a great mural. I like the pop art style!

10. Michael Hodson
    May 5, 2011

these are some really great photos — more importantly, they really tell a story. I love this post (and Egypt… but you knew that).

May 5, 2011

Thanks Michael! I was surprised and impressed by the Cairo street art. There’s a lot to love about Egypt 🙂

11. Jeremy B
    May 5, 2011

Never knew there was so much graffiti there. The city looks beautiful though. I am typically not a fan of the street art like this (aka graffiti) but this gives a lot of insight into the people and city itself. Very interesting!

May 5, 2011

For me, street art adds to the beauty of a destination! But if you prefer classic art, I’d recommend visiting downtown Cairo. There are many beautiful buildings, gardens and the Egyptian Museum, which has perfectly intact artwork from 3,000+ years ago. It’s amazing! (Unfortunately, wasn’t allowed to take pics inside).

12. Ted Nelson
    May 5, 2011

Very cool street art and interesting to wonder what it all means. I was surprised though not to see a one-eyed blue alien.

May 5, 2011

Yeah, I think the one-eyed, blue alien in my profile pic is exclusive to NYC. I’d love to spot him overseas though!

May 5, 2011

Love that you find the street art wherever you are.

14. Maria A
    May 8, 2011

It’s interesting that much of the graffiti is also in English instead of only in the native language there. I suppose they want to communicate to the world what they have achieved.

15. Jo from WHOA Adventures
    May 8, 2011

wonderful! you really have a knack for finding cool graffiti Les;) Cairo’s Nile River on a sunny Saturday afternoon looks gorgeous… , how do they maintained those gardens so well i wonder.. 😉

16. ciki
    May 8, 2011

Oops! That previous one was from moi 😉 haha

17. joshywashington
    May 10, 2011

I am a big fan of street art and seek it out when I know there is a hot spot where I am traveling. I especially like the works that are subversive and politically charged, nice pix!

18. jessy
    May 11, 2011

am so in love with my country Egypt,,i hope that all the ppl in the world can visit my lovely Egypt.

19. Bee
    July 21, 2011

Great photo essay, there’s so much fabulous street art here in Cairo now. Just to note that the photo with the crescent and the ‘ankh’ is not actually an ankh, it’s a Christian cross. The symbol became popular pre-revolution to show Muslim-Christian unity in the wake of violent Muslim-Christian clashes in Alexandria and elsewhere last year. It has been an important theme during the revolution (with Christains protecting Muslim protesters at prayer in Jan/Feb and vice versa), that Egyptians are one nation regardless of faith.