1. Gaelyn
    November 1, 2012

Great post. I just can’t decide whether you were brave or crazy to go into the storm conditions. Hope your power comes back on soon. Be careful wading in the nasty waters.

November 2, 2012

Thanks Gaelyn! I think our sightseeing walk during Sandy was a bit insane and dangerous. But once the storm died down, just about everyone in Lower Manhattan came out to take a look at the damage. Still can’t believe a storm took down half of Manhattan. We’re hoping power comes back soon.

2. iamthewitch
    November 1, 2012

Gosh what a story! You guys must be crazy to be heading out in the middle of the storm. Or brave! 🙂 Thanks for sharing the first-hand experience of Sandy… it really gives a perspective to those of us who are not there. My prayers goes out to all who are affected by this act of God… and I hope everything will go back to normal soon. I have a lot of faith in you NYC! 🙂

November 2, 2012

Thanks so much! This has been a surreal experience. Appreciate your kind words 🙂

3. Andi
    November 2, 2012

Wow this is quite an incredible post! I had goosbumps the entire time I was reading it. I’m glad you are safe and I hope that NYC returns to normal as soon as possible.

November 2, 2012

Thanks Andi! We’re hoping for the blackout to end soon too! Yesterday Con Ed said 11PM on Saturday, but we’ve heard rumors the power might be up tonight. Fingers crossed!

4. Jeff Titelius
    November 2, 2012

I have to say Leslie that I love your iReporting in Manhattan. Some of those pics really speak volumes while capturing the widespread despair throughout. Those nighttime shots of lower Manhattan are quite spooky and you certainly are an intrepid explorer to venture into darkened alleys. Great job on this post my friend!

November 3, 2012

Thanks so much Jeff! It was challenging posting this article without power. Had to snap pics and then go uptown to send via Twitter and Instagram. We’re very lucky in that our power, Internet and cell service were restored last night! Lots of boroughs and suburbs still in the dark.

5. santafetravelers
    November 3, 2012

You guys are intrepid. Sad to see the photos of my old hood. I’ve seen Stuyvesant Town ones that are mind boggling- they were even flashed on the Rachel Maddow show. I have to say that Gem’s spa looks a LOT different than it did in my day. Glad that your power is back on. There are buildings in ST that will be without heat and hot water for (they are saying) up to 2 months. That’s unacceptable!!

6. The Guy
    November 3, 2012

That is a fantastic photo story book you’ve posted there. And great to see your story as it happened.

I’m still amazed that such a developed and highly populated place like NYC doesn’t have sufficient disaster planning to restore utilities quickly. It must have been one hell of a storm.

7. Charu
    November 4, 2012

Wow Leslie. I don’t know whether to say you’re brave or just incredibly lucky. I’ve heard horror stories of people getting zapped by downed wires after a storm. I loved this post but honestly, I’m amazed at your courage. Thank goodness you’re safe.

8. Ayngelina
    November 19, 2012

Wow those are some really intense photos but I am so glad to hear you are ok.

November 20, 2012

Thanks Ayngelina! I’m still shocked how one storm paralyzed NYC for days (and for some neighborhoods, it’s ongoing). I definitely won’t take the warnings lightly next time!