1. Erica
    February 26, 2012

Wow. That street art is completely different from what I’ve seen before. Super delicate.

Love it.

February 26, 2012

Definitely! The Shell oil mural is my favorite. So detailed and so relevant (being located just around the corner from the oil refineries).

2. Chris
    February 26, 2012

Awo mi por laba plaka ‘ami tin e kaka

means

Now I can launder money ‘ I have the sh*t. But I have never heard ami tin kaka.

the airplane is supposed to be a rocket I remember it was build by IBB some kinda art school and the meaning was how do they see Curacao in future (https://www.facebook.com/institutobuenabista)

“no pichi aki “I think should be “no pishi aki”

means “don’t piss here “

February 26, 2012

Thanks Chris! I appreciate your translations and the lead about the IBB. I was struck by this public art installation and would love to know more about the meaning; I’ve contacted the IBB via their Facebook page.

February 26, 2012

I was able to contact the Instituto Buena Bista on Facebook and they confirmed that two of these works are theirs. Appreciate the lead!

3. Erick Widman
    February 26, 2012

Leslie – Awesome pictures! I’ve never been to Curacao but now plan to hit both the beach and the city there.

February 26, 2012

Thanks Erick! I enjoyed Curacao– it truly is a cultural destination, with beautiful architecture and historical sites as well as a fascinating language and friendly people.

4. omar kuwas
    February 26, 2012

Both the rocket sculpture and the shell wall painting are the works of Instituto Buena Bista (institutobuenabista.com). We’re a precursory educational institution for youth that want to pursue a future in the arts, applied arts or some other visual career.

The rocket was made after the local government commissioned a (series) of works by our students where these students would illustrate how they see the future of our island. This would be in occasion of the first anniversary of Curacao getting a status aparte within the dutch kingdom on 10-10-10. They kind of got a bit more than they bargained for tho when the students went on to illustrate their displeasure with the current gov and the general future of the island in their paintings. The rocket itself is also a reference to a displeasure that’s reigning. Curacao is slated to become a spaceport by the year 2014 (if i’m not mistaken in the timeframe) for short trips to (sub)space and back. There is a sentiment that the money spent on that project can be better used in other endeavors.

The shell mural was made by an artist in residence we had a while back called Liesbeth Labeur. She’s a former shell child; children of (dutch) shell employees who would go with their parents wherever they were sent by shell. She’s currently working on a new graphic novel covering her experiences and influences with the refinery then and now.

And for some of the non IBB related stuff:
    The “No pichi” sign is indeed a misspelling of no pishi / don’t pee here, but it’s actually how dominicans would pronounce the word here.

The “see no evil” mural is an ad for Optika Hakim. A glasses store. (on a funny note all the characters are wearing sunglasses, so they would indeed not see the evil.)

March 5, 2012

Omar, thanks for sharing this information about Curacao’s street art! What a clever ad for a sunglasses store. I’m impressed that even the advertisements in Willemstad are works of art 🙂

February 27, 2012

Thanks for letting us know there’s a vibrant art seen in Curacao. I definitely did not know that before I read your post!

March 5, 2012

I was also surprised by Curacao’s thriving street art scene. It really added to my experience as a traveler!

February 27, 2012

Very cool photos. I wish I would have seen this before going to Trinidad as it would have opened my eyes to street art there. I was too occupied with street food to look at the art.

March 5, 2012

Thanks Ted! Well, I’ve seen your photos of Trinidad carnival and it looks like you had your hands full with the festivities 🙂 Great shots!

7. Carolina Gomes-Casseres