October 9, 2011

I think it is great. People are fed up and starting to do something. I studied a lot of French, and my French teachers always talked about how French people often times will passionately strike when they feel their rights are impinged on. Our country, on the other hand, is often times really apathetic. It is nice to see people taking action whether the cause is right or not.

October 9, 2011

Ted, you raise a good point– when I studied abroad in Buenos Aires, Argentina, there were strikes and protests in the streets every day. The faculty and the students of the public university even went on separate strikes! Compared to Europe and many other regions, the US seems the most protest-adverse.

2. Adam
    October 9, 2011

Thanks for posting about this! I’m really impressed with what’s happening at all the Occupy Wall Street protests. Times are changing!

October 10, 2011

It’s interesting to see how the media coverage of OWS has picked up since the weekend. It’s hard to dismiss as just a bunch of hippies now that the movement is gaining momentum.

October 9, 2011

Amazing photos, you really captured the environment. The signs were so interesting to read (and many were so well done, too!). Thanks for posting this piece of history here.

October 10, 2011

Thanks for the comment! Definitely check out the protest if you are downtown. It’s worth seeing in person since the news reports are so conflicting.

4. Giulia
    October 9, 2011

Wow it’s amazing to see something like this happening in NYC, I would totally join the protest if I were there.
    Some pretty touching signs, thanks for sharing these photos!

October 10, 2011

It really was amazing to see the energy in Zuccotti Park. Based on the news reports, you’d expect all kinds of debauchery there but it was simply normal Americans protesting for a cause they believe in.

5. Dave from The Longest Way Home
    October 9, 2011

Great collection of photographs Leslie. These protests don’t get much international coverage. But it’s something that many peoples the world over believe in. As they too wonder about what’s happened to the world.

October 10, 2011

The movement is spreading across the US– it’s really caught on in the last week or two. We’ll see what happens!

6. Sunny
    October 10, 2011

We went to see Occupy Wall Street twice, and it was emotionally moving because it’s about people getting involved in social justice. Lots of different causes, but mostly valuable ones. Sort of a 60’s air about it, but these people were a lot cleaner and didn’t seem to be smoking pot!

October 10, 2011

I didn’t smell any pot either but wouldn’t be too surprised if someone lit up on occasion… if only to deal with those sleeping conditions in the park 😉

7. James Ruggia
    October 11, 2011

Great job. I feel like I just walked through there.

8. ANGRY REESE
    October 11, 2011

Hippie wannabes get a XBOX

October 15, 2011

Interesting– Xbox as a cure for social ills. That could be their new marketing campaign 😉

9. Maria
    October 11, 2011

Interesting post Leslie. Having the opportunity to visit the epicenter(the same day you did :)was an awesome experience. It was wonderful to see so many people exercising the fundamental rights of our country in a peaceful gathering.

10. heather
    October 12, 2011

great pictures something the main stream media wont show.
    they will continue to pass this off as dumb uneducated or informed people.

11. Tyler Parsons age 15
    October 14, 2011

The Occupy wall-street movement is just a bunch of lazy bums who dropped out of high school and college. They are not the 99%.

October 15, 2011

Have you visited Zuccotti Park? There weren’t many “lazy bums” there when I went. Just people who believe strongly in a cause and actually took action– the opposite of lazy.

12. LAZY BUM
    October 18, 2011

im not lazy . but can i come over and take a shower at your place ? please leslie

October 18, 2011

I LOVE the photos. Makes me want to be in NYC.

14. Inphoenix
    October 19, 2011

The Reagan sign is so unnecessary. That really shows the ignorance of that person. Protest can be a very good method but denegration produces only misguided anger.

15. Charles
    October 24, 2011

These people are for real. their complains are my own. I will be joining them soon. I am prepping for a long stay DOWNTOWN LOL