February 24, 2012

I’ve never attempted to drive in another country. I wouldn’t be able to enjoy it or relax! Looks like you two are pros!

2. Jake Semmel
    February 24, 2012

It’s not that bad once you get the hang of it…tho I’ve been forced to do all the driving since Leslie refuses to!

February 25, 2012

Well you are such a wonderful driver, I don’t want to ruin your good time 🙂

3. Sunny
    February 26, 2012

Great article! We will certainly use the advice in the future! We’ll skip driving in Salta and Jujuy, though.

March 4, 2012

Thanks for the comment! Yes, driving in rural Argentina is an adventure sport 🙂

4. Leah Travels
    March 4, 2012

I was really nervous about driving in my three-week vacation in New Zealand since I’d never driven on the left. Much to my surprise, I did great. In fact, two weeks after I got back, I found myself driving on the left. Oops! Great tips. Thanks!

March 5, 2012

Yikes! Hope you discovered you were driving on the wrong side of the road before getting pulled over 😉 Thanks for your comment.

5. adventureswithben
    March 11, 2012

I would add… Buy the extra insurance! Twice I’ve gotten into accidents and the extra insurance prevented me from paying THOUSANDS of dollars in damage repairs. Seriously, don’t be penny wise pound foolish on this one.

You never know when an accident could happen through your fault or someone else’s.

March 11, 2012

Great tip! It’s a good idea to get the extra travel insurance (although we haven’t needed it so far).

6. Charu
    March 19, 2012

Great tips! In some countries it helps to take photos because they try to scam you into paying more saying there were no dents initially etc. etc. Nice job, Leslie!

7. Don Nadeau
    September 13, 2012

Nice post.

For #6, I’d add something very important. Very carefully inspect the entire surface of the vehicle and have the rental agency document even the smallest damage in writing, giving a copy to you, before you drive away.

8. OLE
    May 19, 2013

Thailand is a beautiful country and popular tourist destination. With an excellent road infrastructure and numerous attractions spread far and wide, it is also better to self drive than making use of public transport. If you follow the car hire tips provided below you will be able to save money and have a safe as well as pleasant journey.
    Major Cities
    The best pick-up and drop-off locations for car hire in the country are the airports. Major airports are located in Johannesburg, Nelspruit, Cape Town, Durban, George, East London, and Bloemfontein.
    Car Hire Tips for Safety
    The roads are relatively safe, but be vigilant, especially when driving at night or on small roads. Don’t stop for picnics at the roadside picnic spots, unless at one of the fuel station and refreshment centres. Beware of potholes also in the city areas and don’t engage in conversation with people at the intersections. You will find street vendors and beggars at many of the intersections. Be careful as some of them are involved in smash and grab attempts and hijackings and simply use the begging or hawking to disguise their real intentions. Keep your windows rolled up and don’t leave any valuables in sight. Drive with vehicle doors locked and be sure to let someone know where you are going.

Warning: fsockopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home/content/07/6989907/html/wp-content/plugins/sweetcaptcha-revolutionary-free-captcha-service1/library/sweetcaptcha.php on line 71

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to www.sweetcaptcha.com:80 (php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known) in /home/content/07/6989907/html/wp-content/plugins/sweetcaptcha-revolutionary-free-captcha-service1/library/sweetcaptcha.php on line 71
Couldn't connect to server: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known (0)