August 17, 2011

Great tips…thanks!

2. Stephan Hilson
    August 18, 2011

I agree that people should respect the local heritage and culture when they are traveling. It seems that they could be able to connect more to the place if they also know how to communicate with the residents. I am not sure about voluntarism because I haven’t tried it. But touring seems a nice idea.

3. Alec
    August 18, 2011

Great post. I think one of the most important things when going local is to really keep an open mind. If you keep an open mind and being humble, and also respectful, it will help forge more genuine relationships with others. Plus you will learn and experience more of their local cultures!

Cheers!

4. Toni
    August 18, 2011

Great tips, I especially like “respect local heritage and culture” sometimes as a traveler you have to adjust yourself to the customs of the place you visiting and I feel like that part of the traveling experience often overlooked

5. Ethan Gelber
    August 19, 2011

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind comments and excellent observations. There are plenty of cool quotes out there from an assortment of luminaries about how travel should be about being open to new places and new experiences. These days, too many people bring too much of themselves along when they travel — too much cultural baggage, too much actual luggage — leaving little room for discovery. Local Travel is about getting back to a simpler way of traveling, one that encourages more and better engagement with new things.

I’ve written a bit more about this very topic at http://www.localtravelmovement.com/98/get-lost-go-local/ .

6. Lisa Wood
    August 20, 2011

Thank you so much for sharing your information about how to travel with the locals and how to fit in with the people in the areas that you are visiting. Will take that on board while we get ready to set off around Australia 😉

Cheers
    Lisa

7. Jen
    August 20, 2011

Hi Ethan,

BEautifully done. I have always thought a lot of the things you write…I’m glad you’re getting it out into the world. How are your kids? Are you in NYC?

Best,

Jen

• Ethan Gelber
      August 27, 2011

Hi Jen, thanks for the very kind comment. I am now in NYC (with the kids) and all is well. Please drop me a direct line!

8. ciki
    August 21, 2011

I totally agree that 5, 4, and 3 are sooooo important! A great post and a great interview Les:)

August 22, 2011

I really like the last one. Don’t over think it. That’s kind of my motto. 🙂

10. Ron Mader
    August 25, 2011

Excellent! These are great tips for making the connection.

11. Nisa
    August 30, 2011

Great post! #5 & #2 are really important…but I agree with all the tips 😉

12. Chris Blyth
    January 8, 2012

While I think it hard to generalise about what is right and wrong, I think its sad if people go to a foreign country and don’t interact with the local people at all, its a shame because if they did often they would find it would be the most memorable part of their trip.