June 16, 2011

Whenever people, countries, cities etc. . are pigeonholed with certain attributes they are bound to surprise and sometimes shock. People and especially whole countries and cities are more complex than a few simple adjectives.

It is a fact though that Canadians are passionate about hockey. Unfortunate that a few idiots took such drastic and unproductive ways of expressing their disappointment and that it reflected on the city and the country.

June 17, 2011

Agreed. I was impressed by the Canucks fans’ enthusiasm for their team when I visited Vancouver; clearly it’s possible to be a super-fan without becoming totally unhinged!

2. Cam @ Traveling Canucks
    June 16, 2011

It’s terrrible that these criminals have given us a bad name. Embarassed, disgusted and ashamed to be associated with such clear intent to destroy what was a great 2 month playoff run.

June 17, 2011

It is a shame that Vancouver is making headlines for a riot. Fortunately, anyone who has been there will know it’s not an accurate representation of the city. You and Nicole represented Canucks fans well at TBEX 🙂

June 16, 2011

Too bad those rioters are making Vancouver look bad. I’ve been there before and people were friendly and orderly, so I know it’s not everyone. Very interesting that you found a FB post from someone admitting to knocking down a policeman and more…

June 17, 2011

Some people are just plain stupid. That someone would brag on Facebook about their crimes points to their level of maturity and intelligence!

4. Scott
    June 16, 2011

People here in Vancouver are pretty upset that this happened last night. Sure, hockey is the most important sport to Canadians but it’s not a reason to riot. It’s a bunch of hoodlums that came down from all over the province to cause trouble. (I never get to use the word hoodlums enough!)

This morning 15,000 of volunteers came in starting at 5.30am to help clean up the mess created. It was organized through a post on facebook and within hours people were coming out. For as bad as the riots were it’s inspiring to see people doing something positive.

June 17, 2011

Clearly, these hoodlums were part of a small minority, even among diehard Canucks fans! The street party after the Canucks game 5 win was peaceful, and all of the Vancouver residents I met during my stay were incredibly friendly and polite.

5. ANGRY REESE
    June 17, 2011

You don’t look 1/4 Canadian wow who knew? Canada is great except its in Canada. I miss trailerpark boys. Hello Mr Lahey http://youtu.be/0hpp7H_PucE

June 17, 2011

Yes, my Canadian roots are hard to notice since I don’t wear my hockey jersey at all times 🙂

6. Magical Flying Unicorns
    June 18, 2011

If the Magical Flying Unicorns won the championship I might drink a lot of beer and wear pink, but I would never resort to violence.

June 20, 2011

Thanks! Hopefully you will come to the next big travel blogger event so I can see your pink outfit and majestic horn…

7. Sunny
    June 20, 2011

I have always wanted to visit Vancouver. You and others with comments make it sound like a wonderful city. I’m sure it shouldn’t be held responsible for the actions of what was probably a drunken mob.

June 20, 2011

Go for it! Vancouver is a safe, clean and friendly city. This is definitely an isolated occurrence.

8. Alouise
    June 20, 2011

As a Canadian the riots made me really sad, to see people destroying such a beautiful city. I know the rioters only make up a miniscule population of Canuck fans, but I couldn’t help but think of how this would look to people outside of Canada. I hope people will still come and visit Canada and Vancouver, they’re both great places.

June 23, 2011

I think most visitors realize this was an isolated event. Vancouver is a beautiful city and I’d love to return soon!

9. ciki
    June 20, 2011

What a crying shame. I still love Canada and Canadians.. too bad about the few rotten eggs that spoil the basket:o( Dan Aykroyd and Jim Carrey friggin rawk!! 😀

10. Kris Koeller
    June 22, 2011

Yikes, what a mess. Still, Vancouver is a great town so I’ll give them a pass!