1. Leslie Koch
    February 14, 2011

Jake, this post is bringing back memories… I miss our road trip through the Australian outback!

2. Meliha
    February 15, 2011

Looks amazing! We’ve hiked Yosemite (in California) but didn’t do any hiking on our recent trip to Australia. It was just way too hot (for exercise) when we were in the Blue Mountains.

–Meliha

• Jake Semmel
      February 15, 2011

Yosemite is one of the next national parks on our to do list since we got our national parks pass last summer. it looks awesome!

3. Pete
    February 15, 2011

This place looks great! The cliffs look awesome and you have some really nice shots. Did you see anyone climbing them? It’s really is incredible how green and lush it is below. The beehive formations are quite interesting too. When I go to Australia, I will now make sure this is on my list of places to see. Cheers!

• Jake Semmel
      February 15, 2011

we didn’t see anyone climbing them and i’m not sure if they even allow it. It would be a pretty insane climb since it’s pretty much completely vertical the whole way.

4. Adam
    February 15, 2011

Wow, you got some amazing shots there. You’re right, it really does remind me of the American Southwest, particularly Canyonlands in Utah (which is where I believe the aforementioned movie takes place?). What a great place to visit. We’ll definitely have to put it on our list for the inevitable Australia trip. Those cliffs are just stunning.

• Jake Semmel
      February 18, 2011

Yeah it was in Canyonlands, I assume in a pretty remote section of it. I went there once as a kid but this definitely makes me want to go back again.

5. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures
    February 15, 2011

This is my most favorite hike I have EVER done. Anyone going to Oz MUST stop by. Awesome pics!

6. Jeremy B
    February 15, 2011

Wow, what a great hike! I prefer hikes a bit more scenic but definitely quite a landscape to explore!

February 15, 2011

You’d love this hike, Jeremy! It was incredibly scenic– but not very green. I wouldn’t recommend taking small kids here. It could be a romantic escape for you and the Mrs. 🙂

7. Sarah Wu
    February 15, 2011

Wow girl you took a lot amazing photos from the Kings Canyon. They seem pretty tall and deep, but also a good hike there. Nice exercise to keep fit and also for scenery.

8. iamthewitch
    February 16, 2011

The Canyon is gorgeous! And you take amazing photos Leslie.. I have to admit I had goosebumps looking at the picture of the guy walking towards the edge of the cliff though! Scary! LOL!

9. iamthewitch
    February 16, 2011

Oops Sorry I just saw it at the bottom that the author is Jake! Great job with the pictures Jake! 🙂

February 16, 2011

Hehe, no worries. That’s Jake in the green shirt on the edge of the cliff. I can’t believe he got that close!

10. here be dragons
    February 16, 2011

See, now I want to go see the movie -since I lived in southern Utah for a year.

Also, I want to visit the Aussie outback!

February 16, 2011

What great photos. Makes me want to go there- the list keeps getting longer.

February 17, 2011

Wow, would you look at that! So wild!!!!! 🙂 I HAVE to visit Utah and Outback and! drag you as my guide 😉
    It’s different from mountain hiking, is it? No trees, no moisture what so ever (I assume). Reminds me of the movie 127hours. I want to see the movie but the bloody scean makes me hesitating..

February 18, 2011

You’d love this hike! And I think you should see the movie, even though it is a bit graphic. The amputation scene is only like 10 minutes long– it’s not that bad! Bring someone to hug 🙂

13. Tijmen
    February 18, 2011

I heard a lot about Kings Canyon when I was in Australia, I hate it that I never made it over there. Looks like a great place to go for a hike.

14. Maria A
    February 18, 2011

Gorgeous photos! Need to visit there the next time I’m in that area.

15. Dave from The Longest Way Home
    February 20, 2011

I like the way you can see time etched into these mountains. Seeing all those layers is a great way to see how itty bitty we really all are in the timeline.

127, yes, enjoyed a lot 🙂

16. Andrew
    February 21, 2011

I have pretty much never heard of this place, but it looks totally awesome. Australia has never really been on my list of places to go, but it might need to creep on there. How do you get there? 200 miles from Alice Springs means jeep or place or riding kangaroos bareback?

February 21, 2011

Riding kangaroos sounds like fun! We actually drove there in a rented Camry (without 4WD). We road tripped through the Outback and the Queensland coast and camped along the way with a tent we bought at Kmart. It was an amazing experience and I’d highly recommend it 🙂

17. Corinne @ Gourmantic
    February 21, 2011

Your photos look stunning! Such a rugged and beautiful landscape. You make it look too easy to do the hike. I love how deserted it looks and the lines in the rock face!

18. ciki/@agentcikay
    March 2, 2011

I can see what you mean.. the scenery is breathtaking! Cute name “Heartbreak Hill,” .. it could also be knee, legs and back-break hill from the looks of it!

19. Leigh
    March 10, 2011

Looks like an amazing hike and one I should put on my wish list.

20. Ted Nelson
    March 28, 2011

Stunning pictures. Good to know this is less crowded and more impressive than Uluru.

21. Christy @ Technosyncratic
    April 9, 2011

Wow, these photos are breathtaking! I would be WAY too nervous to get that close to the edge, but I guess if I was there awhile and became desensitized to the risk, it would become less scary.

I didn’t realize the 127 hours story was in Utah! We’re actually in southern Utah right now and have a few (mild) hikes planned, so we’ll have to be extra careful. 🙂