1. Sarah Wu
    January 21, 2011

Interesting guest post. Looks so dry and hot… but beautiful pictures.

January 21, 2011

The temperature was actually perfect! Not too hot. It was a workout biking up there and sandboarding though 🙂

2. Erica
    January 21, 2011

This is something I TOTALLY want to do when we’re out that way. My family and I used to go to White Sands National Park and sandboard almost every weekend as a kid – I want to give it another go even though I fail miserably at snowboarding.

January 21, 2011

Go for it! We were struggling until we realized the key is waxing up the board like crazy. They had given us a chunk of a white candle to wax it with and we went to town!

• Jake Semmel
      January 21, 2011

Yeah fortunately our board was so crappy it limited how fast we would go unless we waxed it like crazy!

3. Pete
    January 21, 2011

Cool post, we loved doing this in San Pedro de Atacama, definitely one of the highlights of our stay there. Thanks for sharing and bringing back these memories!

January 21, 2011

No problem! I just checked out your site and it seems like we have a lot in common, as couples who have traveled the world together.

4. Dave from The Longest Way Home
    January 21, 2011

Now this is something that looks like something I can do. Love the desert, and this looks like you don’t break too many bones trying it out! 🙂

• Jake Semmel
      January 21, 2011

Yeah fortunately the sand is (relatively) soft when you wipe out so there isn’t too much danger in it

5. Roberta
    January 21, 2011

Incredibly beautiful – a real once in a lifetime experience!

January 21, 2011

It was a fun (and physically demanding) experience. Thanks for the comment!

6. Andi
    January 21, 2011

So amazing you had the entire place to yourself, rock on!!!

7. Jeremy
    January 21, 2011

That looks like a lot of fun! I’ve never tried it but always wanted to. I failed at snowboarding something awful, so I’d imagine that I would suck at this too. But it looks so awesome!!

• Jake Semmel
      January 21, 2011

Well i tried snowboarding once and sucked horribly at it but was able to handle the sandboarding ok, there’s definitely a steeper learning curve with snowboarding.

January 22, 2011

There are great dunes to try this on in SE CA, Can’t remember at the moment what they are called- but they are very cool!

January 24, 2011

I’d love to try it again and see if I can perfect my technique 🙂 Maybe I’ll check out the California dunes!

9. Michael Hodson
    January 23, 2011

arrrrggg — I so should have done this! Could have in a couple spots. Sounds like an excuse to go back….

January 24, 2011

Definitely worth a return visit! 🙂

January 24, 2011

Aw, it’s just toooooo awesome!!! You look natural girl! 🙂 I have a thing for a desert.. this make my heart flutter… 😀

11. Ken Kaminesky
    January 24, 2011

Wow… that looks like a blast. Especially since I’m freezing my butt off in -30°c here. I just added the Atacama desert to my list of places that i must see. Thanks!

12. Migrationology
    January 24, 2011

I did a tiny bit of sandboarding in Egypt, but on a very small scale. This looks like a lot of fun!

13. Maria A
    January 25, 2011

Amazing photos. Looks like so much fun and not as slippery as snowboarding!

• Jake Semmel
      January 26, 2011

no its a lot easier than snowboarding! in fact you have to wax the hell out of the board to get going. this was good since i suck so bad at snowboarding…

14. Alex Rascanu
    January 26, 2011

Albeit challenging, sandboarding seems to be so much fun!

15. ciki
    January 27, 2011

Leslie! sexiest chick i’ve ever seen on a sand dune! MWUAHAHAHAHA~

January 28, 2011

Thanks Ciki! That was my Angeline Jolie/ Tomb Raider pose 😉

16. Laura
    January 28, 2011

I love that you did this on your own rather than with a tour. I know how torturous it is to climb those sand dunes but it’s definitely worth it!

January 30, 2011

Thanks Laura! It was a tough climb up, but you are right… it was worth it 🙂

17. Bendos71
    February 1, 2011

I reckon the locals must think we’re mad.

But how much fun is it? So, so good…your post brought back hilarious (and exhausting…and sandy) memories

Tip: If you’re ever passing Huacachina (Peru), grab a board from the Moron hermanos at the kiosk by the oasis.

Recommended.

18. Leigh
    February 9, 2011

I was just there a month ago and while we hiked several days we never tried sand-boarding. Looks like I should have made the effort.

February 18, 2011

It’s worth a return visit! 😉

19. Ciki
    July 20, 2011

Love this post! makes me wanna sandboard.. now!!!

July 21, 2011

Sandboarding is so much fun! I’d highly recommend it.

20. maggie
    August 23, 2011

where did you rent the bikes and board from? any area hints, tips for 2 travelers going in feruary for a 5 day trip to the area?

August 23, 2011

We rented the bikes and board from a shop right in San Pedro de Atacama. It’s a small town bursting with tourist shops and restaurants. You don’t need to reserve in advance; just make arrangements when you arrive. Have fun!

21. Normand Boulanger
    April 2, 2012

I’d also love to try that, looks pretty cool. I will gladly go see that shop and do the same.