1. Jeremy B
    January 14, 2011

Good story Jake. I learned a lot about skiing I didn’t know. Frankly I suck at it but didn’t realize there was such a huge difference in the snow and how you ski. That’s pretty cool that kids got out early on Fridays to go now in the winter! Do they still do that there now?

• Jeremy B
      January 14, 2011

By the way, there’s always Tahoe! 🙂

• Jake Semmel
      January 15, 2011

Yeah it was crazy that we got to skip half a day to ski! no clue if they still do it anymore, that was a loooong time ago 🙂

2. ciki
    January 14, 2011

oh Jake, i am sure you’re still in your prime and just being modest 😛 haha. am sure you nailed the slope! (Leslie! Happy to have met you husband on ur blog.. hopefully you two in real life soon! LOL ) Great post.. awesome slope shots!

• Jake Semmel
      January 15, 2011

thanks ciki, but I definitely wasn’t being modest 🙂 Do you guys ever travel over to the US?

3. Dave from The Longest Way Home
    January 15, 2011

Skiing is one of the few things I’ve never tried! Though, I will admit to wanting too.

Hard thing to do is find an affordable skiing resort or area. USA, parts of Europe all seem very expensive. Maybe I’m wrong. I’ll keep looking!

I guess that’s why I keep seeking out articles about the slopes! Likewise, good to see Leslie’s other half!

• Jake Semmel
      January 15, 2011

yeah it is a pretty expensive hobby i agree, though its a lot cheaper in the Utah than it is around the east coast, not to mention much better.

4. Elle
    January 15, 2011

Glad you made it out west to give those slopes a go. I have never been skiing but I’m sure I would be on my ass a majority of the time if I tried. Floridiots and snow just don’t mesh well together.

January 15, 2011

Yeah, I suppose there aren’t many ski opportunities near FL! I’d recommend a ski lesson… I haven’t mastered skiing yet but I’m having fun learning 🙂

5. Ted Nelson
    January 15, 2011

Great article Jake. I will be going to Utah in February. I have similar misgiving as you. I have actually never downhill skied although I am quite an experienced cross-country skier. I will try downhill for the first time in February. I will definitely start off slow, but I am wondering if I will be able to transfer my skills and become a fast learner or if I will get frustrated and head for the hot chocolate after a few spills.

January 15, 2011

I’ll defer to Jake for the technical skiing questions… but I assure you, hot chocolate is an excellent way to deal with skier’s fatigue 🙂

• Jake Semmel
      January 15, 2011

I think having cross-country experience definitely will give you a bit of a headstart over others who have never tried downhill. Though the two are really different I think just being comfortable on skis will help you out. just make sure to go gradually and stick to the easy stuff for the first day to avoid getting frustrated!

6. Erica
    January 16, 2011

I’ve never skied but I have tried snowboarding. Hubby picks up everything within a few hours. I’ve gone twice and had a mini celebration after I made it down the bunny slope without falling.

It is really hard to find good slopes when we live in Austin, Texas. 😉

January 16, 2011

I can relate! I feel a sense of accomplishment when I finish an intermediate run 🙂

7. iamthewitch
    January 16, 2011

Amazing story and gorgeous slope pictures. I used to ski ones in the mountains of northern China.. but it ended up to be a near-death experience for me! Lost control of the skis and glided down full force. I was just a beginner being too ambitious, really. Luckily all’s well now. 🙂 Hope to learn it properly some day. 🙂

January 18, 2011

Wow- that sounds like a frightening experience! During my first ski lesson I crashed into a fence and other people. The trick is staying on the bunny slopes until you get your confidence back 🙂

8. Iran Travel Blog
    January 19, 2011

Deshutes seems to be quite challenging due to the narrow chutes and trees on either sides of them. Yet, the setting, as you’ve described it, must be something everone likes to disappear into.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Rahman Mehraby
    Destination Iran

January 20, 2011

Thanks for your comment. I didn’t realize Iran had ski resorts until I visited your website. Looks like an interesting place to ski!

January 20, 2011

Hey is that real? Wow, looks amazing and scary! I’m almost beginner level..so that’s just too damn scary for me. But beautiful though!! I snowboard near Queenztown NZ, the scenery was amazing. You remind me of those times! 🙂

January 25, 2011

I like snowboarding also! I’m a beginner but it’s fun going down the slopes on a board. Plus, Jake is a beginner snowboarder so we can do the runs together 🙂 Glad this post brought back happy memories for you!

10. joshywashington
    January 20, 2011

This is suppose to be an epic season for us here in Washington. I hope I get up a handful of times. When I was a teenager I could bomb down the black diamond runs without batty an eye. Now that I haven’t skied with any regularity for 6+ years I almost feel like I am starting over…
    see you on the slopes!

• Jake Semmel
      January 26, 2011

does Washington have good skiing? I haven’t heard much about it but i guess they get a pretty decent amount of snow up there

11. Maria A
    January 25, 2011

Nice ski diary comparing the skiing in the east and the west (had no idea how they were different). Also interesting that when you went to school in Utah, class stopped early to go skiing. People must live and breathe skiing there!

• Jake Semmel
      January 26, 2011

yeah people are nuts about it out there. i guess i can’t blame them, there really isn’t a whole lot else going on 🙂

12. emasparks
    June 1, 2011

Skiing is my passion. Been to different ski resorts in US. It’s always my dream to travel and ski in Europe or South America but can’t find time to do so. Love reading your post and I felt the fun on your trip.