1. Jeremy Branham
    May 15, 2011

Hopefully Egypt will see a rebound in tourism. Totally agree that many Americans have been hesitant about the visiting even before the riots. My wife’s aunt and uncle went last year and had a great time!

May 16, 2011

Thanks for the comment, Jeremy! I think talking to other travelers who’ve visited Egypt is the best way to understand what is really happening on the ground. Before I visited the Middle East last month, I reached out to a blogger living in Cairo and she told me she had no safety concerns, and gave me insight into the country. I’m glad your family had a great trip.

2. Dave from The Longest Way Home
    May 16, 2011

In my experience everything you, and the Egyptian tourism board, say here is true. Unfortunately many people in the “West” get a tainted news supply. They see only the negative side of things.

The saying “bad news sells better” is true here.

If this current Christian / Muslim clash reports quieten down, Egypt good do well to get some domestic tourism going, and bounce international media with some positive homeland reviews

May 16, 2011

Agreed. The recent Christian/Muslim clash will not help dispel perceptions that Cairo is unsafe. I just received this tweet today from a follower: “I do not think travel is safe in Egypt. Sorry. To much going on in region and they are not even stable :(” Travelers who are getting their information from the news (and not other travelers) seem to think the entire Middle East is a war zone right now. That’s a far cry from what I witnessed on my trip to Egypt and Jordan last month.

3. Ted Nelson
    May 16, 2011

I just recently read a report on a riot where 12 people died in Cairo. I hope this does not affect the stability that the military, provisional government, and travel bloggers have worked hard to foster.

May 16, 2011

I think it will take a while for tourism to rebound. Glad you had such a positive experience.

5. Maria A
    May 16, 2011

I read this post in the BusinessInsider.com – you have great coverage as usual.

6. Giulia
    May 18, 2011

The lastest clashes between Muslims and Christians are not threatening the Country’s security for tourists. I was there when everything happened and they happened in very delimited areas – plus, outside of Cairo there’s nothing happening anyway. The Red Sea area was not even touched by the Revolution, as well as many other areas of the country.
    I know this sounds very cynical but this kind of clashes have happened before in Egypt (not that it’s a good thing, on the contrary it’s very depressing) and they have little to do with the Revolution.
    I think this people that think Egypt is not safe are just too lazy to go and find an excuse 🙂 And probably they’ve never been to the Middle East area so they don’t know what they’re talking about.

7. Caroline
    June 22, 2011

What about a Christian or Muslim visiting Cairo? You’re saying tourists aren’t being bothered by the clash of these two religions, but what if the tourist belongs to these religions? Particularly a Christian tourist, as Christians are the minority.

June 22, 2011

I don’t believe as a Christian tourist you’d be treated differently than other tourists. Most Western tourists to Egypt are likely Christian, since they are coming from Russia, Britain, continental Europe and the US. For further reading, Time Magazine recently published an article saying the revolution has created more solidarity between Christians and Muslims: http://ti.me/klHU9S. Additionally, some of the “revolutionary” street art I saw in Cairo had themes of religious tolerance: http://bit.ly/kJio3P. Read the blog http://egyptlife.travelreportage.com to see the perspective of a European foreigner living in Egypt.

8. Caroline
    June 23, 2011

Thanks so much!

Warning: fsockopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known in /home/content/07/6989907/html/wp-content/plugins/sweetcaptcha-revolutionary-free-captcha-service1/library/sweetcaptcha.php on line 71

Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to www.sweetcaptcha.com:80 (php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known) in /home/content/07/6989907/html/wp-content/plugins/sweetcaptcha-revolutionary-free-captcha-service1/library/sweetcaptcha.php on line 71
Couldn't connect to server: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known (0)